[OM] Re: SHIFTY questions

Subject: [OM] Re: SHIFTY questions
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 08:00:45 -0500
on 2004/12/20 5:33 AM, jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx at jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Next on the list to feed by addiction... shift lenses... but not till next
> year... :-))))
>
> How do they work?
>
> Does the lens correct perspective when the camera is in landscape
> orientation and also correct when I take tall buildings in portrate
> orientation?

If they shift horizontally and vertically, then they work both ways. The 35
shift does and I'm pretty sure the 24 does too.

The lens shifts sideways. This allows you to keep the back of the camera
parallel to whatever you're shooting so perspective doesn't get distorted.
You shift the lens up (for example) to look up towards a building.

An easier way to understand what's going on is to think of holding the lens
still and shifting the camera. The lens makes a large inverted image (larger
than the 35mm frame), so you're shifting down to get some piece of the lower
part, which is the upper part of the scene.

Andrew