[OM] Re: E-BAY scam?

Subject: [OM] Re: E-BAY scam?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 21:35:36 -0800
on 12/5/04 2:22 PM, JOHN DUGGAN at john.duggan10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
> Can anyone help. I have received an offer that
> seems too good to be true. Placed a tracking bid of
> £400 on a Leica M6 (SORRY) :-(...but I have an almost
> full set of Olympus toys.
> Duly "lost" to a bid of £850...with a number of bids
> in between.
> Out of the blue I get an E-Mail purporting to be from
> the seller saying that buyer cannot complete so he is
> offering the camera to me for £400.via the e-bay
> second chance scheme.
> Looked on E-Bay site and buyer and seller had both
> left feed back!
> Very suspicious...no3853533715
>
> =====
> Regards
> John Duggan,
> Wales, UK

John -- That has -got- to be a scam. Don't fall for it! Most likely the
email you got is not even actually from the original seller, but probably
someone trolling through the 'losers' and trying to rip someone off. I
suspect that every losing bidder above you got the same or similar email,
and the scammer just hopes someone will fall for it, even one is a great
return for his no-cost email. Forward the email you got, complete with all
headers and such to <spoof@xxxxxxxx>, not necessarily because they will do
something about it but just so they know what's going on and can get a feel
for how common this sort of trickery is...
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...