[OM] Re: Looking for a light, not-expensive tripod

Subject: [OM] Re: Looking for a light, not-expensive tripod
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:58:58 -0500
Skip,
Check out the Bogen/Manfrotto catalog.  I have a prior generation
3021.  The current ones are 3021/3221 depending a little on color and a
couple minor features.  If that turns out to be too salty, look at the 3011
line which is good for most 35mm use with all but the heaviest
heads/lenses, but may be a bit light for some medium format gear
(especially older, heavier stuff or with large/longer and heavier lenses).

Bogen's height specs are sans head.  After adding a head with QR plate and
camera on top, it's nearly eye level for me (I'm 74").

The 3021 and 3011 tripods are relatively light; the head that can up the
weight significantly depending on what you choose for it.  Even so, I've
carried mine along with a bag of gear for good distances without wanting to
jettison it; upwards of a mile or two (one-way) on fairly level terrain
(not up the side of a mountain).  Wouldn't recommend wilderness backpacking
with it though.

-- John Lind