[OM] Re: moonlighting

Subject: [OM] Re: moonlighting
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:58:10 +0000
Roger,

I have no prejudice against star trails.  I even, years ago, shot some myself,
although mine pale in comparison to yours.  Well done.  But, then, a Ph.D. in
astronomy should provide some advantages in this area over a B.A. in journalism
from long ago.  :-)  Congratulations, by the way.  When do we have to start
addressing you as "Doctor" Wesson?  Have you defended yet?

As for the picture in question, if I had been standing right there at the time
it was made, looking at this scene, I would see the sea, the moon, the clouds,
the lightning flash all pretty much just as it appears in the photograph, but I
would see the stars as points of light, not as trails.  (That is, not unless I
had had some more of that stuff we got into at a Dead concert back about '77.)

The star trails are the one element that seems to me to be out of place, and my
objection to their presence is in relation to the concomitance/continuum
conundrum, the immediate present vis a vis the recorded past, the ?now?
juxtaposed with the ?then.?   In this instance, my strong preference is for a
photograph that captures the instant.  Therefore, like I said, if it were my
photograph...

In keeping with the snipping tradition, I'm cutting out the previous posts, but
I'm including the link for those who may have missed it originally and want to
see what we're talking about.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from