[OM] Re: Zoom

Subject: [OM] Re: Zoom
From: edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 12:32:29 -0400
I believe Gord's original request for info and opinions was in the context of
wedding photography.  If this is the prime consideration, then I offer my
entirely uneducated, unsubtantiated but otherwise highly significant opinion...

I would go with a faster zoom on an E-1.  I know this is a whole different
equation than Gord's not-insignificant investment in OM, but if wedding
shooting becomes more than a very sporadic activity, then why not?  The quality
of E-1 images seems very well suited to weddings, and the only real drawback
seems to be low-light autofocus.  Purchasing an "old technology" zoom in the FL
range mentioned, just for wedding work will either be a compromise vis-a-vis
speed/low light focusing, or will be very expensive.  If such a lens would not
get much use in non-wedding work, then perhaps exploring the E-1 would make
sense.  And all the other non-E-1 glass you have could be used on the E-1 via
the adapter.

Earl