[OM] Re: Oly made Vivitar lenses NOW Vivitar flash

Subject: [OM] Re: Oly made Vivitar lenses NOW Vivitar flash
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 02:33:12 -0500
At 11:27 PM 9/27/04, you wrote:
>So, does anyone know who made (makes) Vivitar flashes?
>   Or was it a bunch of players over time?
>
>Thanks, Steve Goss, Dallas Tx usa

Steve,
I work electronics manufacturing for a very large corporation.  Given the
physical and functional characteristics of the models I'm familiar with . .
. if I were to hazard a guess or lay a wild bet, it would be for "contract
manufacturing" of Vivitar's proprietary flash designs (raises another
question: who did the designs ??).

The physical appearance and functional features of the models I'm more
familiar with have tell-tale signs of this.  Too much uniqueness in
physical appearance and how functions are controlled compared to the other
"branded names" on the market.  The 283 amd 285HV come to mind as examples,
although they've been around for a very long time.  If this is true, the
General Public wouldn't recognize their name[s] and it's highly likely it
would encompass a number different contract manufacturing houses over
time.  Electronics contract manufacturers deliberately fly a low profile
outside the industry[s] they manufacture for.  The branded names that
contract with them expect this . . . to keep it from detracting/distracting
from the trademarked brand names.

As a comparison, it didn't take long for the photography community to
figure out that the OM-2000 and the lenses marketed for it were made by
Cosina.  There were a number of major camera brand names (including Nik*n)
along with Cosina that were selling models that resembled and worked nearly
identically to each other.

Raises yet another question . . . I'm not familiar with *all* of Vivitar's
flash units . . .
Do *any* of them have a strong physical/mechanical and functional control
resemblance to any other flash units sold under a different brand name?

-- John Lind