[OM] Re: Quick Digital Camera Question/now scanner and insects

Subject: [OM] Re: Quick Digital Camera Question/now scanner and insects
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:49:13 -0300

> Well, yeah, if you try to keep up.
(snip)
> I think I would make my move at the point where I think that I need a
> better film scanner. Rather spend the money then on a digital camera.

> Winsor

Actually a new film scanner is something I do need. I had to reformat and
reload the computer due to viruses, etc., and for the life of me I cannot
get the HP 5100a to recognize the SCSI card again. It wasn't the greatest of
scanners anyways, and the function for scanning prints had quit, although
that wasn't a big problem as I almost never scan prnts. So I'm in the market
for a scanner that will do slides and negatives, and hopefully 6x6 as well.
I've been thinking of the Epson 3170, but am a bit hesitant as I'm not sure
how well a flatbed will do slides. They aren't available locally here in the
store, so I don't have the option of trying it out and returning it if it
isn't so great.

As you suggest, if I have to look at an expensive scanner, such as the
Minolta 5400, then it becomes a question of priority for me. Maybe a digital
slr might be a better toy. For now, I think I'd just like to stick with the
C5050 for a digital camera, and get a basic scanner.

On another note: Actually, I've been having quite a bit of fun the last few
days shooting insects with the C5050. In super macro mode, it quite
surpasses anything I've ever been able to do with film. The big advantage is
that you can do quite well hand holding it, almost a necessity for chasing
bugs, for me. I take "lots" of shots, and sometimes set it to bracket in
difficult lighting, and surprisingly get probably one of every twenty or
thirty shots that is pretty good. A little processing usually is needed, to
suit my eyes. But it is pretty amazing to see the detail it gets of a fly,
when shown at half screen size on a 17 inch monitor.

Okay, insect pics is one application I've found that the C5050 far surpasses
anything I've ever been able or willing to do with film. I just couldn't
bring myself to spend that much money on film for pics of insects. Who wants
a pic of a bug anyway? Nobody but me in this house will even look at a
half-screen size picture of a fly, grasshopper, or beetle. Even I have given
up post processing them on the computer just before supper - just kind of
ruins your appetite.

Wayne