[OM] Re: OT now... eye surgery

Subject: [OM] Re: OT now... eye surgery
From: "Evan Ruff" <evan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 09:03:09 -0400
I've heard some horror stories about the old radial technique that Michael
had described. In addition, there have been some detractors from the LASIK
technique as well, which still uses a scalpel to section a flap from the top
of the cornea. A LASIK can be performed only once per eye and heals in about
six hours with minimal pain.

I recently had an epi-LASEK. In this technique, there is no scalpel involved
whatsoever. You sit under the laser and it goes to work, no doctor
intervention other than programming the laser. The advantage of the
epi-LASEK is that it has zero effect on the structural integrity of your
eye. If my eye were to significantly change the procedure could be repeated
with whatever modern advances they had designed. This was the sticking point
of the epi-LASEK for me.

After four months of surgery I can say that I have VERY minimal starburst
effect. I don't even notice it unless someone mentions it or I am
consciously thinking about it. Only downside of epi-LASEK, it hurts when the
drugs wear off and takes about three to four days to fully heal.

Evan