[OM] While I've been away

Subject: [OM] While I've been away
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 17:57:56 -0700 (PDT)
My Oly inbox has swelled to 500+ messages.  Unless there is
something special in there that I MUST read, they're getting
zapped.

The past month has been a whirlwind for me. I got charged with
designing and building a temporary WiFi hotspot network for a
major trade show. I had three and a half weeks to put together a
system from scratch that would cover an area 2000 x 1500 feet.
Outdoors.  With lot's of HUGE objects and temporary buildings
and other nightmare things to deal with.  Like eleven rogue
access points, a GSM network bleading up into the 2.4 band and a
fixed wireless provider that wiped out channels 1-5.  Oh, and
microwave shot that went across the field...  And I almost
forgot to mention the television transmitter sites a mile away.

Well, we pulled it off.  Yes, there were a few holes in the
coverage and we had two DoS attacks and broadcast storms that
brought the network to its knees. But, except for damage to one
antenna from a too closely parked hauler with flags tangling up
with my 5 GHz backhaul and subsequent vandelism, my portion of
the project was a success.

One part of the grounds proved to be very difficult to cover as
there were several buildings, silos, dryers and other big round
metallic objects causing severe blockages and multipath.  Ended
up moving that site three times--without knocking it off the
air!

Did I mention that all sites had wireless backhaul?  (I designed
a self-healing network that ended up being a non-healing network
thanks to line-of-site problems).

Anyway, I'm exhausted.  Setup took place in mud. It rained
several inches the day/night before and the enire field was a
mudbog.  My Jeep saved the day--although 15 dollars worth of car
wash still hasn't gotten it clean yet.

The last day of the show was uneventful and I got a chance to
look around.  I sat in the world's largest combine and almost
got a nose-bleed. Saw an articulating 38 row planter and even
witnessed an autopiloted tractor and combine.

Sorry, no Zuiko-fed pictures, I only shot digital. Was too busy
to even think about anything creative--just took record-shots.

Anyway, If anybody is looking for a freshly minted "expert" on
temporary WiFi Hotspot networks, let me know.

AG

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail