[OM] Re: WTB & Question

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB & Question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:31:34 -0700
It depends so much on what you want to do with the lens and on
individual taste. Even the definition of performance is individual. For
taking pics of people, the 85/2 is close to perfect, with something
magic about being sharp without quite the 'edge' that can make portraits
unappealing. It's not something you can easily get with a filter,
physical or electronic. The 100/2.8 is similar, but with less speed,
isn't as good at isolating the subject from background. The 135/2.8
isn't bad either, with the DOF difference of a longer lens making up for
the speed, but one must like the different perspective.

With the 90 & 100mm f2s, I chose the 90/2 for a very simple reason,
close focus. The 100/2 may be sharper, at least at normal focusing
distances, may balance easier, be less 'different', but it just doesn't
focus close enough. I do like the 90, but find myself often wishing it
focused closer. Maybe I just need to start carrying an extension tube
around with me, but then there is all that putting on and taking off.
I don't find the 90/2 all that weird, probably a benefit of using zooms
a lot, where the aperture ring is at the back. Maybe I should just
follow Luca's example, but outside the computer, and re-label the Kiron
105/2.8 as a Zuiko. :-)

Moose