[OM] Re: Where's Moosie?

Subject: [OM] Re: Where's Moosie?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:01:38 -0700
DSLR! Ho Ho Ho, not likely. They were taken in May 1970, so not only not
DSLR, but pre OM. I assume Maitani was at work on them, but they had not
yet seen the light of day. I wouldn't have an OM-1 for about 3 more
years. Nik*n Ftn with some sort of 50 or 55mm Nikkor, 50/1.4, 1.8, 55mm
Micro-Nikkor? I don't even remember which 50mm I had or what I might
have borrowed from my father for the trip. Whatever it was, it was
pretty sharp stopped down in that bright sun.  I haven't opened any of
the mounts to see what sort of Kodachrome. I am no longer so young, thin
or beardless, not that you can see any of that in the web  image, and
perhaps not quite so brave/foolhardy. :-)

That is the upper falls in Havasu Canyon, AZ. Unlike most side canyons
of the Grand Canyon of the Colorado, Havasu cuts across an aquifer part
way down and is an oasis of water, greenery and humidity in a little
crack in arid desert. The Havasupai Indian Tribe has lived there for a
really long time and it is their reservation. I understand that one must
now make reservations with them to visit. Back in 1970, all you had to
do was drive 60 mi. of graded gravel and dirt road to the trail head and
walk in. The walk out is quite strenuous! The last part is maybe 1,200
ft. straight up after a few miles of steady elevation gain. I think I
was in a little better shape in those days.........

The lower falls are not as tall, but even prettier and nicer then than
now. I'm putting together a little gallery of images from the slides I
just scanned in. I'll let you know.

Moose