[OM] Re: Digital vs. Film discussions REQUEST TO DSLR USERS

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital vs. Film discussions REQUEST TO DSLR USERS
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 07:35:04 -0700
I am going to have to argue with you a little bit. If you look at the
building panel with the Chinese characters the characters are distorted
by digital artifacts that look like jpeg and/or sharpening distortions
that are absent in the scanned photo. I suspect that you did not do a
raw file here and used the in camera processing with settings for
sharpening and jpeg which are always cruder than their application in
Photoshop. Even so, if you look at the wall on which the characters are
mounted you can clearly make out the shape of the individual stone
blocks in the digital picture and not at all in the scanned film
picture.

In the first set of pictures with the walkway, and a flagpole in one,
but not the other, I have to notice the difference in the lighting.
Obviously from the difference in progress of construction the pictures
were taken on different days with different lighting. In the walkway
picture by the 10D the light is nearly overhead and it illuminates the
small ledge on the supporting beam for the walkway making a white
stripe in the middle of the beam as well as lighting the the top of the
handrail, the supports for the handrail and even some light on the beam
face so that it lighter than the shadowed areas behind it. In the film
picture on the other hand the rail is back lit so that although it is
lit the supports are not. The ledge is no longer illuminated and no
longer looks like a white stripe in the middle of the beam. Here you
have dark shadowed rail supports and beam silhouetted against a light
colored wall. Of course it looks like there is more detail than in a
picture which has a white rail and supports in front of a light colored
wall.

Those are the reasons I have to disagree. However I thank you for a
most interesting exercise.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA