[OM] Re: E1 ultrasonic sensor dust removal

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 ultrasonic sensor dust removal
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 16:29:40 +0200
Hi all,

>From: "Daniel Tan" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>You swapped a GR-1 for a mju-II?
>Putting aside brand loyalty (or whatever), was there anything that really
>affected this choice?

Well, the GR-1 was too valuable for a pocket/car/party camera ;-) I can buy
five mju-II's for the cost of a single GR-1!

Some other issues with the GR-1:

-- If left without battery for more than a couple of minutes, it resets to
ASA 100, no matter the film loaded... and there's no other way to solve it
than reloading the film!

-- *Much* longer shutter lag than the mju-II/Sytlus Epic. The GR has a
special mode ('Single-Shot AF', IIRC) which is really fast, but it's quite
cumbersome to set, plus it's fixed-focus and indivisible from spot metering.

-- The built-in flash is ridiculous (GN = 7 m) and designed to work as
fill-flash *only*... if the flash is the main (and/or only) light, picture
will be heavily underexposed :-(

>I was under the impression that the GR-1 series lens
>was superior.

The GR-1 has a 28/2.8 with excellent contrast, sharpness & resolution, no
matter the aperture or location in the frame, but I found its images a bit
'dull'. I belive it was made on Leic* thread mount (together with its
brother 21/3.5 from the GR-21!) in a very limited edition.

But the 35/2.8 of the Oly is *very* fine lens, too! However, sometimes I
miss the FOV of the 28mm -- maybe I should get an XA-4 :-) :-)

>From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Have you ocnsidered cleaning them?  :-)

This became an obsession... until I ruined a whole roll of film with the
shadow of a hair (from the brush) showing up in all frames :-( That made me
switch.

Enjoy,

Carlos J. Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>