[OM] Re: Spirit levels.

Subject: [OM] Re: Spirit levels.
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:35:35 +0000
I have never seen a Bogen/Manfrotto 410 head.  :-(  I assumed, based on what
little I knew, that it was just the junior version of the 405.  The 405 will
flop over for portrait orientation in either direction.  It just depends on
which of the three knobby thingies you twist and which way you twist it, or
them, and which way you rotate the whole apparatus to flip the camera either to
one side or the other.

I wish I could explain it more better, but it's the kind of thing that far
exceeds my poor abilities to describe clearly.  And besides, any lens heavy
enough to loosen a properly-tightened tripod screw ought to have a tripod
collar.  The only Zuiko I have that might give trouble is the 180/2.8.  Of
course, the 100/2 ain't a featherweight either, but it's never been a problem,
and it's my regular "portrait" lens.

Oh, and the 405 has three circular levels, one for each axis.  I rarely even
look at them.  If the scene looks level in the viewfinder, that's good enough
for Walt Work.  Sometimes what's really level doesn't look level to me.  Of
course, I'm keenly aware that some of you think I'm pretty much always about a
bubble and a half off level anyway.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from