[OM] Re: Selling out

Subject: [OM] Re: Selling out
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 09:52:32 -0700 (PDT)
> Most of us, given our druthers and an infinite amount of
> time/money, would search out the best, most perfect, highest
> resolution equipment for everything.  This would give us the
> "best" results.  But the dimishing returns offered by such
> efforts and the lack of appreciation lead me to abandon 35mm,
> MF and LF for most of my work.  It's just too much of a hassle
> for little return.  Now if you're talking about personal
> satisfaction or high-end, fine-art photos, that's something
> different.

And that's where the rub lies for me.  Normal product, portrait,
event and even most family photography is now digital. Certain
occasions (birthday's etc) will get shot on film too, mostly
B&W.  But the fine-art stuff is where things get dicey.  I CAN
produce fine prints digitally, but is that the right marketing
spot to stake out?  McDonalds sells billions and billions of
cardboard hamburgers, but if I went into business as a chef
would I serve cardboard hamburgers because they are easy to
make, cheap and obviously it's what the "consumer" wants since
McDonalds sells billions of them?  NO!  What a waste of a good
BSC infested cow.

> 1. 85-90%: DSLR (E-1) for day-to-day shooting
> 2. 3-6%    Hassleblad X-Pan I for panoramas or unique
> viewpoints
> 3. 2-4%    Canon G2, Contax T2, or Olympus XA for
> carry-everywhere shots
> 4. 2-4%    OM, Leica for B&W, slides, fisheye, or 14mm
> ultra-wide-angle
> 5. 1-2%    Various old 6x6, 6x7, or 35mm for nostagia or fun

Yikes!  Talk about similar.  I'm running about 85-90% Digital
for day-to-day shooting.  I'd REALLY like one of those
Hassleblad X-Pans.  Do they come in full-frame digital?  Of the
film shots, close to 50% are 4x5 B&W.

One odd thing has happened to me very recently:  I've
rediscovered the IS-3.  It matches up very nicely with the
M*nolta A1 and is usually packed with Velvia 100F.  The OMs are
getting run with B&W right now.

AG

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail