[OM] Re: Selling out

Subject: [OM] Re: Selling out
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 15:02:54 +0000
The dawning of a new day, following lots of sobering advice (and time to sober
up), finds me crawfishing as fast as I can.  The OM gear is safe, at least for
the foreseeable future.  Big-time digital just ain't happening here right away.

The notion to wait for the next iteration of the big C*n*n was forming in my
mind even as I wrote yesterday's post, and then it was reinforced by Winsor.
I'll do that for sure.  And I'll definitely take anything that exorbitantly
expensive for a test drive before making any sort of final decision.

I got great advice and valuable opinion from all of you good folks.  Why didn't
I have a similarly knowledgeable group to consult a few years back when a
friend and I shoehorned a souped-up small block Chevy V-8 into a TR-6?  Talk
about a disaster!

The real eye-opener and the clincher for me was an e-mail from a working pro, a
staff photographer for a major U.S. daily -- and I'm not talking about the
Hooterville Hollerer here, but a MAJOR daily.  Since the e-mail was off-list
and a private communication, I will mention neither his name nor paper.  He may
very well have good reason not to make his feelings known publicly.

Suffice to say that he has hands-on experience with the very camera and lenses
about which I expressed my acquisitive intentions.  He was not enthusiastic, to
put it mildly.  If he feels inclined to share his observations with the list,
I'm sure you will all find it profoundly elucidating.  I hope he will, but
that's his decision.  In any event, I am most grateful to him for his input.

And besides, the more I thought about boxing up all my OM gear and driving if
off into the KEH sunset, the more reluctant I became.  Also, I've got over 130
rolls of film, not counting the 120 stuff, in the fridge.  What was I thinking?

Thanks, gang!  I'm home again.

Walt, and old dog with no new tricks

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from