[OM] Re: Oh, Digital, Wherefore Art Thou?

Subject: [OM] Re: Oh, Digital, Wherefore Art Thou?
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:18:48 +0000
This entire exercise was simply for the purpose of showing that yesterday's
lenses and film weren't as primitive as some of today's young whippersnappers
and digital geeks seem to think.  Of course an 8-foot-wide print of this
negative wouldn't bear close-up inspection, unless someone had an interest in
the study of the grain pattern and structure of Panatomic-X.

The highest resolution scan I am capable of making is 5400 d.p.i.  After
cropping, the scan in this instance is 7400 pixels wide.  Obviously, to make an
8-foot-wide print, it would have to be printed at 72 d.p.i.  Duh!

This whole thing has degenerated into a nit-picking contest, which, if I were a
person of normal sensibilities, would make me regret ever having started it at
all.  But I don't.  I'm far too contrary and not nearly wussy enough for that.
I don't take any of this stuff all that seriously.  IT'S A ****ING HOBBY!  I DO
THIS FOR FUN!

No small furry animals were harmed, nor was human life taken, or even
threatened, during any part of this endeavor.  Of course, it ain't over yet.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --