[OM] Re: Oh, Digital, Wherefore Art Thou?

Subject: [OM] Re: Oh, Digital, Wherefore Art Thou?
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:49:27 -0400
At 08:58 PM 7/28/2004, Moose wrote:

>Hi Johnny, welcome back. I wondered what had happened to you.

Well thanks Moose.  The List had gotten too political for my taste so I
signed off back in the Fall.  But, I thought I'd stop by for awhile and see
what everyone was up to.

>What has happened here is that a lot of list members have added digital
>cameras to their OM equipment.

That's understandable, me too.  Well, I already had a C3040 but I've added
a DSLR.

>  For various reasons, some have not been Olys.

That's also understandable.

>So there has been a fair
>amount of sharing of reasoning for choices and subsequent experience.

Does that even include the reasons for going to other makes such as Canon
for instance?  If it does then the List must have grown by leaps and bounds
in tolerance.  :-)

>Those who have gone over to the "N" based dark side have been fairly
>quiet.

Ok, who put the gag on Tom Scales?  Was it Larry by any chance?  Anyway,
you should take it off right now!

>Yes, I have gone over to the Canon dark side at least a bit and perhaps
>only for a bit.

Well, you always seemed to have good taste.  I personally got tired of
squinting with these tired old eyes and decided to try auto focus.  I
wanted to use the same lens with both film and digital so I went with a
EOS3 and a 10D.  It's certainly been a different experience than shooting
with the OM equipment - some good differences, some not so good.

>  I still have a sea of Oly and other OM mount stuff and
>still use it.

I'm not using mine but haven't sold any of it either.  I'm thinking that I
might cut back on several bodies and a few lens though.  Are prices still
holding up or have they fallen through floor like those for Hasselblad stuff?

>I elaborated the reasons that I
>found the 300D to meet my needs better than the E-1 in a (too?) lengthy
>post a few days ago.

I'll look it up.

>You ma notice that one of
>the samples I posted was taken with the Kiron 105/2.8 that you turned me
>on to

Yep, a very nice lens that gets no respect.  You'll have to pry mine from
my cold, dead hands.

>Lots of OM and film stuff still going on on the list.

Yep, and I see that Walt is still fighting his inner desires to go
digital.  :-)

Good to hear from you,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson