[OM] Re: Cold, wet and muddy and broke.

Subject: [OM] Re: Cold, wet and muddy and broke.
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:16:00 -0700 (PDT)
> I was in upper peninsula last year, August, rain was not all
> that bad but
> the yellow smelly water was the worst I've ever experienced.
> It must
> come straight from the bog.

Smelly?  That's strange.  Sometimes, it does has a slight odor,
but nothing offensive. The color comes from the cedar bogs.
That's why the Taq. Falls are tinted.  Nothing harmfull, just
looks like tea.  Color density is fully dependant upon
rain/snow/drought patterns. I've never seen the water the same
way twice.  Maybe one of these days I'll post pictures of the
Taq. Falls from several visits.

> So, what lens works best for shooting a tornado, wide angle or
> telephoto?

Definitely NOT a macro lens.  A circular polorizer is good, but
if you are too close it turns into a split-ND filter.

Everybody loves watching tornados--but nobody wants to see them
mow through houses.  The site of one ripping through a cornfield
is pretty cool, with it sucking up and tossing out occasional
trees, cows and cell-towers.  Oh, and the occasional SUV from
some moron that thinks that storm-chasing is more exciting by
being in front of the approaching rotation.  I've seen more
video this year of tornadoes shot from the NE than ever before.
Fools.  Are they Chasers or Bait?

Two weeks ago I stood on my deck and looked straight up into the
rotation of a wall-cloud.  It would start spinning up and
dissipate, spin up a few hundred meters over and dissipate.
Spin up again and a condensation cloud would start to lower,
only a few seconds later totally fall apart.  In the preceeding
two hours, this storm had spawned several tornados.

Meanwhile the tornado warning sirens were blaring away.  This
cloud had my full and undivided attention.  I knew we were
almost in deep hockey when a dozen storm chasers stopped on the
interstate outside our house to watch.

AG

http://messenger.yahoo.com/