[OM] Re: My first portrait with E1

Subject: [OM] Re: My first portrait with E1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 20:32:59 -0700
Really lovely. Unlike some others, I think the tight crop is great. Of
course, none of us but you know what is outside that crop that might
make it simply necessary. In any case, I like it as it is.

If one thing would make it more perfect for me, it would be more DOF.
Although I often like oof areas to draw attention to the central
subject, for some reason the upper left area softness detracts slightly
for me. Perhaps the tight crop itself makes me think everything
extraneous has been excluded, so I expect everything to be really sharp.
It's still a wonderful image.

There is a great technique for converting color to B&W in PS. It is fast
and easy and allows lots of control over the tonality of various colors.
I encountered it in Harald Johnson's excellent book "Mastering Digital
Printing", but it is also here
<http://www.adobe.com/tips/phs8colorbw/pdfs/phs8colorbw.pdf>.

Moose