[OM] Re: scanning print negatives and scanner exposure inconsistencies

Subject: [OM] Re: scanning print negatives and scanner exposure inconsistencies
From: Jez.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 18:16:29 +0200

Piers asked:
> So Velvia, not being a negative film, is objectively 'right' Jez?

It's not so much what is right or wrong but what is predictable and
repeatable.  When I use Velvia (for a landscape) I know what to expect (and
others will even be able to guess it's Velvia) but when I use a negative
film without a scanner profile (or a calibrated system) I have to decide
what adjustments to make.  And personally I can't - I always end up with a
print that my wife says 'doesn't look right'.

I'm hoping to evolve to a (digital?) camera through to print process that
will add or subtract nothing - the audio purists call their perfect
amplifier 'a straight wire with gain' - and my Holy Grail is the
photographic equivalent!

br
jez