[OM] Re: scanning print negatives and scanner exposure inconsistencies

Subject: [OM] Re: scanning print negatives and scanner exposure inconsistencies
From: Jez.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 16:37:13 +0200

Piers wrote:
> I take your point about finding the right profile for the negative film
you are using - but isn't that relatively easily fixed after scanning?

Yes, you can correct for anything :-) but you waste dynamic range if you
fill it with orange base color.  AFAIK a scanner can be controlled to
remove the base color (by adjusting sensor sensitivity, or lamp brightness
in some scanners) and then use all the bits for the real image.
My real hate of negative film is that without an accurate profile, it
becomes subjective as to what is 'right' - I always hope to go from source
to final file (and hopefully print) without tweaking the colors.  Something
to do with my defective color vision...!

br
jez