[OM] Re: scanning print negatives and scanner exposure inconsistencies

Subject: [OM] Re: scanning print negatives and scanner exposure inconsistencies
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 15:25:46 +0100
I don't know what was in Yves' mind but from my perspective, the dynamic
range of a slide is much greater than that of a negative, and it must
therefore be more demanding of the scanner to reproduce that dynamic range.
Regardless of whether it is 1800, 2700 or 5400 dpi. The question of exposure
accuracy is (I think) an irrelevance in this respect.  I take your point
about finding the right profile for the negative film you are using - but
isn't that relatively easily fixed after scanning?

Yves a aussi ecrit que "you can get better prints from it than from your lab
unless it is a very expensive one" which I agree with, as I have previously
indicated - except that I don't think "very expensive" is _as_ expensive as
you might think!

Piers