[OM] Re: An out-of-date comment on Digital

Subject: [OM] Re: An out-of-date comment on Digital
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 21:06:27 -0700
>-Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 11:04:46 -0400
>From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re:
>
>There are lots of technical reasons to chose a camera system, a film
>type, or a particular digital camera. My film to be scanned is backing
>up here on the desk, and several rolls have yet to make it to the lab,
>all the while I'm having great fun with the E-1.
>
>I think any serious film shooter should be able to take "film camera
>discipline" and apply it to digital cameras. In fact, a film (slide)
>shooter has an advantage when switching to digital. The E-1 lets you
>roll off 12 shots in 4 seconds. I can quickly fill a 512mb flash card
>with 10mb raw files (48 shots). The fact you can do it with no
>incremental cost makes it easy to have "camera diarrhea." But I assure
>you, once you get over the ease of taking pictures, and get sick of
>looking at crap, the film discipline will return. To get full
>resolution, you need the tripod; for great shots, you still need to
>compose; the light is the same light reaching the camera; and
>ultimately your attention returns to the subject, not the camera. The
>difference is how the camera dances with you changes how you can
>dance with the subject.

><SNIP> for brevity
>
>However, magic is not a quantity, rather it is a quality. If a camera
>has magic for you, that can make all the difference. An OM-4t loaded
>with your favorite film and prime zuiko mounted has magic. I think
>the E-1 has magic as well. Who know, maybe the magic is not in the
>camera? So quantity over quality (of shots) is in you, and I'm sure you
>would find that photographic magic once you got over camera diarrhea
>and your attention returns to the subject, yourself, and the photo.
>After all, the real moment, the choice, is the one when you push the
>button, and it is the same moment no matter what the camera. How you
>get to that moment and what you experience afterward might be
>different.
>
>Wayne

Well written and articulated, Wayne. I didn't know you got an E-1.
Congrats and I am sure you will enjoy it and digital photography.

I think the points you raise are well-thought out and well presented
and great food for thought.

Just a technical comment if I may. Have you actually obtained 12
frames in 4 secs? if you can get an E-1 to take 12 shots in 4
seconds, I would sure like to know how. As I have said before, the
big issue for me with the E-1 is write times to the card.

I hear the E-1 from our local Oly rep is available again, so I am
going to try to get my hands on it for some more work.

Oh, and I read in another source that Oly will have a replacement for
the E-1 out sometime later this years. Where I read that is what i
need to remember...I think it was DP Review, but it might have been
somewhere else. If I find it, I will post a note.
-Stephen.

--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!