[OM] Save Kodachrome Day

Subject: [OM] Save Kodachrome Day
From: Nick Buchner <buchner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 14:44:51 +1000
Forwarded on from the Kodachrome list (kodachrome@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ), for all
those dedicated OM + Kodachrome users out there...
______

At the request of Christiaan (Chris) Phleger over on photo.net, I am posting
the following message.  The complete original thread can be found here:
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=007Al9  (FYI, I have
corrected the dates to conform to the days mentioned.)
Christiaan Phleger </shared/community-member?user_id=614392>
<lexmack@xxxxxxxx> <mailto:lexmack@xxxxxxxx>

Aloha All!

After this past week of hearing doom and gloom from Kodak and having a small
chat with a Kodak rep (yes an actual Person!) I have decided to launch a
grassroots level campaign to send a clear message to Kodak.

On May 16th of this year, I will shoot at least one roll of Kodachrome,
probably several, and send it in to my Kodak dealer on Monday, May 17th.

I urge you all, my fellow Leica users, shoot at least one roll of Kodachrome
on May 16th (or earlier!) and send it in to Kodak no later than May 17th.

Since all US Kodachrome is sent to one facility (FairLawn, New Jersey),
Kodak will receive and process the entire national film.

If we, the humble users of film, wish to send a very clear message to Kodak
that we still enjoy the choice of Kodachrome, (as well as other Kodak films)
we should let our collective Kodachrome voice be heard!

I personally will shoot some of my coveted stash of Kodachrome 25, as well
as the K64 and K200.

If we each were to shoot at least one roll and send it in on the same day,
it would cause a Huge surge in the Kodachrome processing run count.

As it is now, A&I just announced that they will be stopping their Kodachrome
processing line in March ( I think). So in May, all Kodachrome MUST go thru
Kodak, and the Kodak rep I talked to said it all is processed in one place,
3 or 4 runs a week. When I asked him when Kodak would stop processing
Kodachrome he said that they would slowly start to cut down on the number of
processing runs UNTIL THE DEMAND RAN OUT.

So, lets show some demand.

Yeah, so Velvia is great, and Provia too, and I certainly like the new Astia
a lot, and sure, E-6 is quicker, but just this past week I was pulling some
slides for a stock agency and came across a whole section, years, of fine
Kodachrome, that still just glowed! I certainly would like this film, even
plain old K64, to stick around just a bit longer.

I even still have a few rolls of K64 in 120 that I was saving for when I got
a really really good medium format camera and lens, and by the time I got it
( a Rollei 6008i with 120mm PQS) Kodak had stopped processing 120.

Perhaps we can have a web page on Photonet showcasing images shot. Drum up
some press. Call your Kodak rep. Tell a friend. Or better yet, buy an extra
roll and give it to a friend to shoot, I know I will.

So Join Me!

One roll is all I ask! (With Processing of course).

Christiaan Phleger Photographer
I realize it's a little late to be posting this.  I personally have 4 or 5
rolls saved that I will either take to COSTCO or send in a mailer to arrive
on that date.  I guess it would be best to send on Saturday (by mail) or no
later than Sunday (if left at a store like Walgreens, Target, COSTCO, etc.).
Don't drop by a Wal-Mart, because they send to Dwaynes.

I have suggested that we mark the special instruction box "Kodachrome Day"
or where you print your last name and then your first,  use "Kodachrome" as
your first name or nickname.  Also, if you use masking tape to seal the
plastic can, please write on it Kodachrome Day.  Surely someone at Kodak,
Qualex, Kodalux or whatever it's called this week will notice - that is if
they now hire people that can read English.  I kid you not!  I know of one
complaint where Qualex used the excuse the employee couldn't read English as
the reason the roll was screwed up!

I know this has been posted on one Leica e-mail group.  If you know of other
groups such as Nikon, Contax, Canon, Leica, Pentax, Olympus, Minolta, etc.
and are members of that group, please post there.  I guess we can forget the
MF and larger groups!

I have suggested that we have another "Save Kodachrome Day" in the early
fall while we are all out shooting "fall color."  Anyone with any other
ideas, please e-mail Chris at your convenience.

Also, a note to the head corporate people at Kodak wouldn't hurt.  I believe
the email for Daniel Carp, Kodak CEO, is either d.carp@xxxxxxxxx,
Daniel.Carp@xxxxxxxxx or dcarp@xxxxxxxxx.  It surely wouldn't hurt to send a
message to all three!  The snail mail address is:  Mr. Daniel Carp, CEO,
Eastman Kodak Co., 343 State Street, Rochester, NY 14650.  Telephone is
585-724-4000 or the 1-800-242-2424 information line.

A page listing the Kodak Corpoarte Managment can be found here:
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/pressCenter/kodakPeople.shtml

Good Luck!  All of us Kodachrome users will need all the help we can line
up!

Robert Johnson
Nashville, TN
USA