[OM] Re: An out-of-date comment on Digital

Subject: [OM] Re: An out-of-date comment on Digital
From: Cyrtolite@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 12:27:01 -0400
Hi, Sam.

The argument that digital is more wasteful because it encourages more shooting
really doesn't work, in my opinion.

Digital cameras are equipped with features that enable the user to easily
evaluate and, if appropriate, delete images.  Even if the photographer is not
picky or elects not to take the time while shooting to evaluate and hi-grade
images, the computer that ultimately receives the images from the camera is
even better equipped (assuming the presence of decent image editing software)
for evaluating and, as approptiate, deleting images. Only the keepers should be
stored on CD or other permanent medium.

Also note that when one deletes a digital image it's just a matter of
rearranging electrical charges and magnetic patterns in the storage media --
unlike slides, prints and negatives which consume resources and occupy space in
landfills.

One of the nicest things about digital is that you CAN shoot impulsively
without fear of wasting anything except, perhaps, time. Impulsive shooting can
produce great results. Those who must save everything they shoot deprive
themselves of that advantage.

Don't get me wrong. I suppose I have as much trouble as anyone else deciding to
delete an image and I probably keep many more than I should -- both film and
electronic images.  Unfortunately, the cost of film and processing has never
been enough to prevent me wasting them.

Scott Whittemore