[OM] Re: Doing my part

Subject: [OM] Re: Doing my part
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 14:10:19 EDT
It's great that you are exposing (<g>) him to the features of film, I've also
done a similar thing recently with a college kid at my part-time job. He's
very interested, but there is also a great hunger from today's youth to ingest
all they can with regard to digital photography, and film is just a curiosity
to them, as I'm sure it'll be to your niece's friend. I can only imaigine it
conpares to the time when 35mm film was first made available to the masses.
Most
people wanted the new convenience, they didn't want to remain in the past.

Also, his field of graphic arts no longer holds any promise at all for a film
user, so don't think you'll get him to drop everything and convert to film.

I've also mentioned the same 3-D look that I see in my film shots as opposed
to my digital shots. I can tell you every time which photo is from a digital
capture and which is from film, wherther its my own shots, or someone else's.
That is THE MAIN reason I'm not running to the E-1 or any other 'system'
digital camera just yet. Yes, it's mucho convenient, you get instant feedback
if
you've captured what you intended to capture, and you can hand out prints to
people in a few minutes...BUT... why should I switch from the OM system to ANY
system that gives me inferior results? Yes, I agree, that with digital you can
keep pressing that button until you either get something you like, or the
batteries run out, but the bottom line is image quality, and I haven't seen any
digital that compares just yet, nor is as much fun to use as the OM system. All
you do is replace your time in the darkroom with time in front of a computer,
and I think, as a society, we're already spending too much time in front of one.

End Of Rant.
George S.