[OM] Re: Doing my part

Subject: [OM] Re: Doing my part
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 14:01:01 -0700 (PDT)
> but there is also a great hunger from today's
> youth to ingest
> all they can with regard to digital photography, and film is
> just a curiosity to them...

Not necessarily.  There is obviously the commercial componant
that dictates digital.  But just as in music, no matter how good
the samples are, you just can't replace a Steinway with an
electronic keyboard.  An artist will always have preferences
different than that which the engineers say is best.  Specs are
for geeks--not artists.

I REALLY like digital photography.  And I'm a cutting edge geek
in many areas.  Why do I still prefer film for my best artistic
work?  This young man's uncle shoots professionally and he too
has spoken about the magical aspect of film.

Case in point.  I'm looking at a picture of the girls that I
took this past weekend.  The skintones, sharpness and contrast
range speaks "medium format". It really is a lovely
picture--exceptional, even.  But the green stems and the flowers
of the yellow and red tulips don't possess the richness that I
get with Fuji Velvia and Provia.  Which is more accurate?
Digital, of course.  Which gives me more emotion and character?
Film.  I can work various curves to mimick my favorite film, but
for some reason it just isn't the same as capturing it that way
from the start.

AG