[OM] Re: An out-of-date comment on Digital

Subject: [OM] Re: An out-of-date comment on Digital
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 18:15:25 +0100
Thanks for your carefully considered reply Winsor.  I am taking my
little G5 on holiday with me, along with a Sekonic meter and slide film
in my OM4 (probably mono stuff in my 2SP for my artistic side ;-)).  I
shall take time to compare exposures in that bane of my photography,
contre-jour landscape.  I shall enjoy proving one of us right, but by
then I suspect that it will not matter ;-)

On the matter of grain versus noise, I find the latter uglier but I
take your point.

I shall return!

Chris

On 14 May 2004, at 17:44, Winsor Crosby wrote:

> On May 14, 2004, at 3:37 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
>
>> The range of densities recorded on a digital sensor seem to be more
>> limited in comparison with film - so the highlights tend to get burned
>> out more easily and you have to expose more for them.
>
> Chris, you are right about the highlight problem. The range of
> densities is about the same as color slide film and you use a similar
> metering technique, but are even more careful with metering. The
> digital has the advantage of having more detail in the dark areas. So
> if you expose a bit dark to save the highlights you bring up everything
> post processing. Some cameras metering systems are set up like that and
> people are sometimes disappointed to the image straight out of the
> camera until they understand why.
>
> If you miss on the metering though, the highlight blow out is much
> uglier on the digital than on film. That is why many cameras show you a
> display of blown out highlights before you take your camera home which
> coaxes you to reduce exposure and to bring the shadows up later. You
> deal with it like you would with transparency film, either with
> graduated neutral density filters or exposures for both highlights and
> shadows and merging them in Photoshop.
>
> Here is a site by a Nikon guy who has measured the dynamic range for a
> number of cameras that use Nikon lenses. He does not show his
> calculations here but I have seen more of them in his newsletter. Two
> generations ago the D1 was 6+ stops, last generation D100/1X/1H was 7
> stops, new generation D2H is 7+, and the innovative Kodak 14N is 8+
> stops.
>
> http://www.bythom.com/dslrcomp.htm
>

>> I understand that the higher end digital machines do better with the
>> range of EIs, but the density range is, as I understand it, still
>> limited.
>
> It used to be higher end, but a Canon Digital Rebel or Nikon D70, both
> at the bottom of the dslr range, are capable of high ISO settings that
> have less noise than the equivalent film has grain, at least if talking
> about color film.
>

> Winsor
> Long Beach, California
> USA