[OM] An out-of-date comment on Digital

Subject: [OM] An out-of-date comment on Digital
From: "Sam Shiell" <Sam.Shiell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:12:01 +0100
Hi Guys

Been sitting quietly on the sidelines and haven't contributed for some while
now so time for a little rant.

Much as I'd like to dangle my toe in digital my finances prohibit even thinking
about it so I keep happily stress-testing my OM2n

A good friend of mine has taken the plunge with a 6 mp C*N*N something or
other, his business case being the birth of his first child, 4 months ago.

<Rant>
He told me yesterday that he's already rolled off two and a half thousand shots
(in 4 months) and has bought himself a DVD writer because he's running out of
room to store CDs. Well, when the hell is he ever going to get to look at 1% of
those?, and you can bet that most of them aren't worth looking at anyway.

I know this argument has been done to death but because I have to pay for every
shot I take I actually think and try to make each shot count. Of course I never
get there but can live with a (say) 75% hit rate. My wife still moans about the
house being bursting with prints but we enjoy finding forgotten pictures, that
are usually of a reasonable quality.

I'd love to play with an E-1 (or even an E-10 would do!) but as a weak-willed
overgrown kid I wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to fire away at
anything. The formula of quantity over quality frightens me too much, so I'd
rather stick to the old method, which forces some quality control.

</Rant>

Of course this is just my take and I'm sure those that have taken the plunge
are stronger than me, so feel free to totally ignore this.

Sam

This e-mail and any attached files are intended solely for the named addressee
only. It may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged and
protected by copyright. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to
receive on behalf of the addressee) you may not copy, use or disclose its
contents to anyone else. If you received this e-mail in error please notify the
sender immediately and then delete it from your system. We make every effort to
keep our network free from viruses although we can take no responsibility for
any computer virus which may be transferred by way of this e-mail.