[OM] Re: Borders (was Re: Re: Dusty Lenses)

Subject: [OM] Re: Borders (was Re: Re: Dusty Lenses)
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 08:44:52 -0700

On May 9, 2004, at 8:27 AM, Tom Trottier wrote:

> When I worked for Karsh and he crossed borders, he showed a typed list
> of his equipment with S/Ns which he had had countersigned by Customs.
> I've also done this for myself.
>
> Customs probably prefers it, as they don't have to write down cramped
> descriptions and S/Ns. I brought my stuff with me, but they didn't ask
> to see it

I used to do this at US Customs. It required that I bring my stuff to a
customs office, fill out the form listing equipment and serial numbers
and the agent looked at each one and signed it off. The last time they
just added to the list on the original form and looked at me like I was
insane. In many years of travel I have never needed to show the form.
Now I confess I just take the receipts for the stuff I am carrying in
one of the flat pockets in the camera bag.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA