[OM] Re: Dusty Lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: Dusty Lenses
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 22:26:59 -0600
At 08:49 PM 08/05/2004, you wrote:

>Garth if you are any where near Niagara Falls, NY - you could always just
>ship from there instead of Canada. Why are you concerned about shipping from
>Canada? I live near Niagara Falls and I see tons of Canadians coming across
>to mail stuff.

Er, no.  I live in Edmonton, Alberta, which is about 600 kilometres north
of the border with Montana.

More importantly, because Canada Customs is staffed with the offspring of
idiots studying to be morons, there is no simple way of keeping said
offspring from assuming that, on the return leg of any journey my precious
Zuikos might take from being maintained in the U.S., I'm not actually
importing lenses which I did not previously own.  In other words, they'd
assume I just bought them used, and would assess taxes, duties, etc., etc.,
etc.  Maintaining Oly equipment in Canada is increasingly difficult.  And
NAFTA's largely a joke when it comes to the movement of goods across the
border, and worse when you're trying to purchase services south of the border.

Garth