[OM] Re: CLA

Subject: [OM] Re: CLA
From: fred42@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:58:54 -0400
Fernando,

I think I recall that thread.

If I am remembering correcting it was an issue with a 500mm f8 mirror lens in
comparison to a shorter lens (can't remember that one I am afraid).

The issue was resolved that the angle of spot reading varies with focal length.
With a 50mm IIRC it is 2 degree. With the 500mm I think Skip figured it to be
less than 0.5 of a degree. Therefore if you use a wider than 50mm lens you will
get a slightly wider spot reading.

This leads to a very specific spot reading with longer lenses if you make a
comparison of the same site with more than one lens.

I would imagine that it would be easier to think in terms of the metering your
scene requires rather than getting the same result from test card. Its nice to
know the meter is working and consistent. I believe that when calibrating a
meter a standard lens would be part of the base line measurements.

I hope this helps some, I am sure I have left some stuff out. Perhaps a browse
through the archives for the original post might offer some stuff I forgot.

Dan S.

From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>