[OM] Re: Developer preservation, Was: Darkroom - Getting the paper to tu

Subject: [OM] Re: Developer preservation, Was: Darkroom - Getting the paper to turn black
From: edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:06:32 -0400
On Friday 23 April 2004 07:06, you wrote:
<snip>
> Argon is perfect for the job, but unless you do a bit of welding you're
> unlikely to have easy access to it.  Fortunately, there's a readily
> available, inexpensive alternative: butane.  That's right, gas lighter
> fuel.  It's more dense even than argon, so it just sits on top of the
> liquid, keeping any leftover air away.  It's not even as big a fire hazard
> as you might think, just keep away from flames & don't smoke whilst you top
> up your developer bottles before you seal them again.

Wish I'd thought of this when I was using a lot of Rodinal.  Rodinal used to
come in bottles with a rubber stopper perfect for using a syringe with which
to withdraw the extremely small quantities necessary for one-shot 1:25 or
1:50 dilutions.  Replacing volume with butane through (somehow) the rubber
stopper would have been perfect.  Current bottling of Rodinal does NOT come
with the stopper, though it should be easy enough to acquire.  But now
Schnozz has me going for the DD-X (which I've purchased), THEN he pointed me
to Fineart and its film developer and the proprietor's commens on the evils
of DD-X, so I'm now thoroughly flustered <g>.

Time for a wee dram

Earl