[OM] Re: Authenticity

Subject: [OM] Re: Authenticity
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 20:13:57 -0700

>This has never happened to me before:
>An on-line community that discuss possible fakes are certain that the result
>is fake.
>One goes so far as to say 'no sign is that clear'
>
>Boy do I feel good! :-)
>
>--Graham

Graham, I showed your photo to my wife and her first reaction was that
it was fake too.  When i quizzed her she said the sign was not "right".
I see that you used a 35~80 and I suspect it was on the long end when
you hit the button. There isn't enough foreshortening at 80 to be really
noticeable but there is enough to cause the flat plane of the sign to
lack the depth the the eye says should be there. I think the naysayers
should accept the simple explanation, i.e. telephoto foreshortening
rather than the more convoluted reasoning that leads them down the PS
chicanery path. Of course if you didn't take the photo at the long end
then my theory goes down the toilet :>)

mike