[OM] Re: 18/3.5

Subject: [OM] Re: 18/3.5
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 20:12:32 -0800
robhar@xxxxxx wrote:

>Thanks Mark. Yup, well,  I'm looking for a 18/3.5 _with_ step-up ring,
>ideally.
>
>What I'm wondering (especially now that I know it's an Oly and thus
>discontinued part)

The reason it is specific, rather than generic is that it is also the
lens hood and puts the filter at just the right distance from the lens.
I would be very uncomfortable using the lens without the hood/step-up
ring. The front element bulges out where it is quite vulnerable. I keep
mine in a generic case that fits it just right with hood, filter (when
used) and lens cap on. The original Oly case is useless from a practical
use point of view.

> is if the step-up ring is still available anywhere
>(John, Clint?) and if not, if it's like the "eyes" for a DR Summicron.
>With the DR I've heard it's best to buy a lens that comes with the eyes
>rather than hope you'll find a set for sale separately, because they
>are rarely parted.

You got it. The rings seem to be rarer than the lenses.

Funny thing, my lens and adapter came from Oz. How did you guys let it
get away?

Moose