[OM] Re: Woe is Me - Bridge Camera Fallout

Subject: [OM] Re: Woe is Me - Bridge Camera Fallout
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 07:51:56 -0800 (PST)
I'm not sure how to interpret the observation about my off-topic
postings.  However, I feel that they actually aren't off-topic
for the following reasons.

1. I love the OMs and didn't want to obsolete them with a new
camera purchase.

2. Like many others on this list, I cannot justify $2000 for an
E-1 at this time.  I REALLY want one, but the CDFO indicated
that it won't fly.

3. For pro/semipro usage, the Olympus bridge cameras s*ck.

So, for me, the purchase of the Minolta was an important
purchase and very much related to Olympus.  Why?

1. 49mm filter thread.  It uses the exact same filters and lens
accessories I have for my Zuikos.

2. Form-factor.  It's possible to use this camera in a very
similar fashion to the OM-4, IS-3 and OM-2S.  With the battery
pack, it really does feel and look good.  It's very compact and
takes almost exactly the same amount of space as an OM body/with
winder and lens.  Remove the battery pack and it's downright
tiny.  Just like our OMs.

3. It augments the OM kit, not replacing it.  I'm using the
digital for applications where I needed digital. There is no way
that this camera is any competition for my 100/2.8 and Velvia
100.  Or how about my 35/2.8 or my 24/2.8?  If I bought a DSLR
system right now, I would have needed to completely abandon the
OM system.

4. It's a $650 mistake instead of buying into a DSLR system,
spending thousands and discovering that you hate it for
X-reasons.  I'm much more comfortable risking $650 than $2000.
Suprise, suprise, I actually LIKE it!

5. It has a silver-ring on the nose of the lens.

Vert and Toky are having cows.

AG-Schnozz