[OM] Re: Woe is Me - Bridge Camera Fallout

Subject: [OM] Re: Woe is Me - Bridge Camera Fallout
From: Jez.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:18:48 +0100

It gets more and more clear that there are some fundamental differences in
how to use a digital camera compared to what we are used to.  Even the
camera manufacturers have not yet realised (see Michael Reichmann's
ramblings) that Aperture, Shutter speed, and ISO are three different
variables that can be adjusted.  Well maybe they have realised it, but they
haven't implemented the perfect solution yet.  No longer are terms like
"Aperture-priority" adequate, because the 'auto' bit still has a choice to
vary speed OR ISO.
Similarly the need for clever exposure modes (matrix, spot / multi-spot,
...) are becoming redundant - a live histogram is what you need.
The future will be interesting!
br
jez

Hi Jim,

That is exactly what I am looking forward to! I have three bodies now (a 1n
for B&W, a 2n for 400 and a 4 for 160) which works OK but I can see a very
clear advantage to ISO being just another flexible part of a correct
exposure.

Dan S.

<snip>