[OM] Re: Valentines Day

Subject: [OM] Re: Valentines Day
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 19:53:10 -0500
David,

What model were you interested in?  Would this be your first scope?  High
quality, small (4" or under) refractors are great for planetary viewing but
if your interest lies in observing anything else such as galaxies, planetary
nebula, etc, I think you may be disappointed.  When purchasing a scope, the
larger the diameter in glass or main mirror that you can afford is best since
it equates to more light gathering ability.  Power ratings are almost
pointless since you are limited to 200 power most of the time anyway due to
atmospheric turbulence.  High quality, 4" or larger refractors are enormously
expensive especially with motor driven mounts.  High quality mirror
Dobsonians up to 16" are more reasonable.

If any of the above info is old news to you, forgive me.  The telescope
marketing game can lead to an expensive disappointment to the unaware.

Richard