[OM] Re: Camera Bags

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera Bags
From: "Earl Dunbar" <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 16:16:46 -0500
Gord:

LOL.  I do value padding and protection, so that is a concern for sure.  For
quick action street photography and in situations where protection by the bag
would not be a major concern, a simple compartmentalized canvas tote is my
preference.  I prefer canvas over most of the synthetics; not that I hate the
synthetics, it's just a personal preference.

As far as temperature goes, I remember a shoot I had years ago, photographing a
clambake for a bunch of professionals.  OK, so they were lawyers, not real
professionals... It was about 98F that day, and my vehicle at the time was a
white Ford Courier (remember those?) pickup with a white fibreglas cap on the
back.  I parked the rig in the shade, opened up the windows and the back door
on the cap and had what equipment and film I couldn't carry around stashed back
there.  Everything was kept cool enough that I was safe.  Yes, the shade
helped, but the coverage wasn't 100% and having a white vehicle meant
everything was, I'd say, 10-12 deg F. cooler than if the vehicle had been a
dark color.  When Fred Picker developed his white bag for 4x5 rigs, he tested
before final production and got similar results.

Earl