[OM] Re: [OT] PW Pro, was: can your digital do this?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] PW Pro, was: can your digital do this?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 07:02:19 -0500
To quote from the PW Pro manual:

"Once you have a 16-bit black and white or 48-bit color image, you can
use any of Picture Window’s commands, transformations or tools to work
with it. The one restriction is that you cannot use a 16-bit black and
white image as a mask. Of course you can convert it to 8 bits and then
use it as a mask."

16/48 bit support is one of the principal differences between PW and PW
Pro.  Well worth the $50 vs $90 price difference.

I don't know what PS does beyond PS 7.0 but 7.0 has a limited but not
trivial list of operations that it can perform in 16/48 bit mode.

This may be a distinction without a practical difference.  If the final
product is to be an 8/24 bit image PW Pro's work flow recommendations
for best performance and memory utilization are to crop first, then do
any color, contrast, brightness, etc. adjustments in 16-bit mode then
convert to 8-bit for improved performance.

Paint Shop Pro don't know nothin' 'bout no 16 or 48 bit images.  It's
not even mentioned in the help file.

Chuck Norcutt