[OM] Re: [OT] PW Pro, was: can your digital do this?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] PW Pro, was: can your digital do this?
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 11:15:49 -0800
Actually you can beat the price (or could) by buying into Paint Shop Pro,
which is more powerful still with a similarly user-friendly (for my money
more intuitive) interface than what Adobe has managed over the years.

But no way Jose do either programs approach the sophistication of
Photoshop, and when it comes to third-party interest and practical support
the latter beats the competition (if you can call it that) in that area
hands down as well.

We've all seen the following demonstration before, I'm sure, but I'll offer
this for whatever it's worth and then let it be. (It took me less than an
hour, this to include downloading the demo, installing it, getting as far
as USM in the tutorial, accessing PS, uploading everything to my site and
then hitting this list.)

The following two links to images are blowups of an area of feather (on top
of the bird's head) taken from the PW test image. The first image was
derived by following the PW tutorial and applying the USM twice to the
image, the second example was derived by using the Fred Miranda IS action
twice at 5 (medium) in PS. For what it's worth it's posible to achieve
better results with Miranda's action and sometimes I don't use it at all
but resort to another technique in PS using layers but this will give you a
rough idea of the difference I want to illustrate.

Both files were saved as .TIF so as not to introduce any possible
aberrations due to the JPEG compression scheme, but are, I believe, small
enough in size not to overly tax anyone's pipeline. (Both images were
interpolated to 4x their crop size for purposes of display using another
handy and excellent FM action. This might have added slightly to any
corruption of the original images but you couldn't live on the difference.)

First image (using the Picture Window Pro demo USM function):

         http://www.tristanjohn.com/PWUSM.TIF

Second image (using FM IS action in PS):

         http://www.tristanjohn.com/PSUSM.TIF

Check out the background noise, then tell me PW is as good as PS.

And it's not just the USM routine. Automatic color balancing utilities and
whatnot have their place and can save heaps of time if nothing else, but
for serious work one needs the power of a full-blown program dedicated to
the needs of that serious worker, and PS is the best around. (No, I do not
own stock in Adobe or applaud the company's pricing structure, but
nevertheless PS is the most powerful image tool out there in all respects.)
I could easily take the PW test image and compare what they arrive at in
the tutorial with a superior image using PS instead, only doing the work
"manually," as could anyone else familiar with PS.

Please forgive me if that sounds like a lecture. I have no problem at base
with these in-and-out programs for fast-and-dirty work meant for web
display where 1) there is no standard for display and 2) even if there were
few users could (or would bother) to meet that standard . . . so what the
hell! I often use PSP v7 when I'm on the run and don't want to hassle with
PS. But let's get real with the actual difference when push comes to shove.

To compare PW or PSP or any number of other image programs favorably with
PS does no one justice in the long run, is, in fact, misleading.

Having said that, I just got through recommending (possibly) this program
to my wife, Katie, who is presently busy developing a site for a friend of
ours who in her spare time runs an organization called Rabbit Haven. It's a
project to save bunnies let loose in the wild (partly, at least--the sad
truth is there are, believe me, worse fates yet for bunnies) after they're
given, say, to children as gifts for Easter, Christmas or whatever the case.

And as long as I'm on it, please check Katie's latest effort here and if
you feel so inclined spread the word. Afterall, there might well be a bunny
in need around your neighborhood.

         http://www.therabbithaven.org/

If you bother you'll notice immediately that the site is hardly finished,
but I told Katie to publish what she had and then just go upward, outward
and beyond from there as time allowed.

Tris

P.S. Shuman (that little brown bunny with only one leg pictured in the
lower-left quadrant of the first page) is presently fishing around in his
pellet bowl for something good to snack on. He's the friendliest little
rabbit you ever heard of, comes right up to anyone and everyone (even
Beamer, our gigantic German shepherd) with his nuzzling nose and winning
ways and just gets it on.