[OM] Re: [OT] PW Pro, was: can your digital do this?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] PW Pro, was: can your digital do this?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 12:17:51 -0500
I started using PS LE after I got my scanner.  I switched to PW Pro
after John Lind (where are you John?) recommended it... as does Norman
Koren.

I describe PS as a "graphic artist's tool" and PW Pro as a
"photographer's tool".  They do many of the same things but PW's
orientation is to the photographer and it doesn't contain much of those
things that are purely the province of the graphic artist.

I have always found PW Pro much easier to use than PS, particularly the
clone tool.  Perhaps I don't use PS properly but in PS I can't always
see the source position for the clone operation and frequently make
mistakes that I have to undo.  PW always keeps cross hairs visible for
both source and destination and I can move a lot faster with it.

That said, PW does not support layers.  Experienced PW users say that
layers are not necessary and PW provides alternate means of doing
anything you can do with PS.  I have never needed PS layers until
recently when I couldn't figure out how to easily move a head from one
photo to another to fix a group portrait or easily simulate the utility
of the PS patch tool (basically, cloning through an irregular mask).

Fortunately, the author of PW (Jonathan Sachs, original programmer on
Lotus 1-2-3) and PW users maintain a good support operation on Digital
Light & Color's website <http://www.dl-c.com>  I got some suggestions to
try there but haven't tried them yet.

I'm forced to use full blown PS periodically giving touchup editing
assistance to a pro I work with occasionally.  I don't profess to be
expert in either application but, in general, find PW preferable and
easier to use even though PS was the first digital editor I was
introduced to.

Two things are certain.  You can't beat the price (under $100 for the
Pro version) and you can't beat the on-line support.  I doubt that there
is any photographic editing operation that you can't do in PW Pro.  I
find some things much easier there than in PS.  Whether that's true for
all things I don't know.

You can download a full-function 30 day free trial at:
<http://www.dl-c.com>
Note that there are all sorts of of PDF how-to white papers that are
called up by the manual.  These must all be separately downloaded if you
don't buy the CD ($10 extra).

Chuck Norcutt