[OM] Re: OT: Treadwell and Bears

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Treadwell and Bears
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:29:33 -0700
I envy your experiences at Katmai. I live among the Grizzlies but visual
sightings are few and fleeting rather than the constant observation you get
there. I've seen them in Yellowstone but not where I could photograph them.
Sometimes people get to see them up close but I've not been so lucky. The
pros that work in Yellowstone spend many hours every day for a few good
shots. I just don't have that much time available. We had a sow and two cubs
living in the willows about a mile from our cabin for a whole summer and
almost nobody even knew they were there. They can be quite well-behaved. We
had a young boar raiding around the cabins two years ago. He got 5 pounds of
chocolate from a refrigerator on a guys porch one night. It seems that the
worst problem we have with grizzlies here now is their taking over hunter's
kills. If you have to leave an elk carcass out overnight there may be a bear
tending it when you return. The bears piss all over the animal to mark it as
their kill so the meat becomes a lot less desirable even if you can convince
the bear that it is your kill. Some hunters have died during that debate.
The Griz basically don't like humans, until they have tasted one. /jim

<snip

OM content:  I have some beautiful images of the bears in the falls and in
the meadows taken with OM gear.  You don't need a 600mm lens either.  I had
mine and never needed it.   My 50-250 and 300 handled the bulk of the bear
shots.

Mark Jennings