[OM] OT: Treadwell and Bears

Subject: [OM] OT: Treadwell and Bears
From: Mark_Jennings@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:19:45 -0500
I have to agree with Jim about the bears and Tim Treadwell.  Actually, it
is a testament to the remarkable tolerance and patience of the bears at
Katmai.  They put up with Treadwell in their midst for about 13 summers
before attacking him.  It was a tragedy that two people died, and then two
bears had to be shot.  But this came as a shock to no one.

I have been to Katmai twice and am a graduate of the Park Service's Katmai
Bear College.  You have amazing access to bears there.  And they are
seemingly everywhere.  But you keep your distance and you take precautions
at all times.  Tim did neither for 13 years.  Those bears were very patient
with him.  The bear who did him in was an old fellow, 27 years, very poor
teeth, but still over 1,000 pounds.  He was grumpy and looking for an easy
meal.  And Treadwell made his camp at the intersection of several bear
trails.

Treadwell was likeable, but misguided.  He believed that the bears liked
him.  I have his book and had followed his exploits for about six years.
The rangers at Katmai were always worried about him.  But they were really
afraid that one day he would do something that would result in the death of
a bear.  Turns out they were right.

OM content:  I have some beautiful images of the bears in the falls and in
the meadows taken with OM gear.  You don't need a 600mm lens either.  I had
mine and never needed it.   My 50-250 and 300 handled the bulk of the bear
shots.

Mark Jennings