[OM] Re: Camera Bags

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera Bags
From: "Dylan Sutton" <dsutton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:00:36 +1100
A quick warning to anyone visiting the crumpler sites - the music is loud and
will cause strange looks from your colleagues if accessed at work! All the
sites are slightly different and have some different products.
I've got what was the biggest Crumpler bag, the Glamour Photo Case, had it for
about 3 years. The company started off in cycle messenger bags (the founder Stu
used to courier in Melbourne, OZ), and I doubt you would find a tougher
proving-ground for durability. I have to concur that the quality and materials
are excellent, and the sense of humour is refreshing (my bag is made of
"Chicken-Tex").
The bag has good dense foam and movable partitions, though they went a bit
overboard with the velcro holding the compartments in place. Being such a huge
bag (mine currently contains two OMs, one with winder, 100-300 tokina, 80-210
sigma, 35-70/4 and 50/3.5 zuiko, 24/2.5 and 17/3.5 tamron and T28 twin flash
and T-power control) it can be hard to get at some of the contents sometimes.
The front pocket could do with having looser material, it is hard to access
when the bag is full. I have yet to get around to adding some straps for my
tripod on the bottom which it should have, but this can be got around by
sliding it under the lid (which fastens with velcro and some side release
buckles. They seem to have improved their designs now, and have lots more
variations (I like the "Company Embarrassment").
I like the way the messenger style bags can be accessed without taking them
off, yet when slung on the back are much more comfortable than a traditional
camera bag.
I bought mine wholesale from Crumpler back when I used to manage an outdoor
store which sold their messenger bags. A wacky bunch of people, somewhat
disorganized at the time but have really got on the ball now. They used to have
the strangest answering machine messages.

Dylan

Disclaimer: A friend and former colleague is now marketing manager of Crumpler
Europe, based in Germany, but I don't get any commissions! The aussie site is
www.crumpler.com.au (duh).