[OM] Re: Monza Photos

Subject: [OM] Re: Monza Photos
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 20:04:14 -0800

>From: "Richard Smith" <rms3863@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Monza photos
>Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:38:53 -0600
>Hi to all,
>I finally figured out how to post photos to the mailing list.  So, this is a
>first-time experiment.  I took these pictures in 1964 at the Italian Grand
>Prix in Monza, Italy.  I had no money to buy a ticket, but my friend and I
>found two tickets lying on the ground outside the track.  The tickets were
>for the infield area, and it was a perfect place to watch the race, and take
>pictures of legendary drivers like Jim Clark, Graham Hill, and Lorenzo
>Bandini.  (Clark and Bandini later died in crashes while racing.)  The
>pictures were taken with a Petri, 50mm lens, and either Tri-X or
>Panatomic-X.  I didn't have an OM camera until 1974.  These non-Olympus
>photos might not be entirely appropriate for this list, but I thought
>someone might find them interesting.  They give some insight into the
>evolution of car racing.  I'll post some more recent OM photos in the near
>future.
>
>http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder.tcl?folder_id=371295
>
>Dick Smith
>p.s., photo.net has been up and down today.  If you have a problem with
>photos loading, keep trying.

Dick,
Those are truly wonderful. Thank you for posting them. Like Mike
Veglia, I am a big fan of motorsports photography. They take me back
to a time when F1 and life in general was simpler and less
complicated. I've always been a motor racing fan...my dad bought me a
set of die cast F1 cars and transporters when I was a little kid in
'62, and took me to the World Endurance Championship races at the
Nurburgring when the Ferraris were dominant. When I was in jr. high
shool, I made my mom take me to see "Grand Prix" in 1966....it was
one of the most exciting films I've ever seen, and to this day, I
remember how excited I was when that incredible opening sequence
started.

All of my F1 photos are from the mid-eighties, taken at the peak of
the turbo era when Honda was completely dominant. I shot many, many
frames with my OM-1 and Kodachrome 64. Those were the days!

You can see some OM-1 shots here:
http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/autoracing///NigelDingel.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/autoracing///LanciaLC2.jpg

A mix of OM-1 and (gasp!) C*n*n digital work is here:
http://imageevent.com/puma_cat/autoracing
http://imageevent.com/puma_cat/cartlagunaseca2003

Would love any feedback you have...

Regards,