[OM] Re: Which slide film?

Subject: [OM] Re: Which slide film?
From: Donald Shedrick <shedridc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 21:53:16 -0800 (PST)
Lars,
You can see the results of my Africa trips on my web site.  All the
animal shots were with Ektachrome E200 Professional, and the other
scenics not on safari were with Kodachrome 64.  If I were going
today, I would probably also take some Velvia 100F for scenics if I
had a chance to get comfortable with it.  I find the K64 forgiving on
exposure, which is important for me on vacation where I do not have
time to dwell on exposure settings or to bracket.  This is even more
important for the safari shots, and the E200 is low contrast and very
forgiving, and is good for animals that may be part in sun and part
in shade.  I need the extra speed of the E200 since my fastest tele
is the 200 f4 (f8 with the 2X-A), and I need to get off shots
quickly, not only because of the animals moving, but on a non
photographic oriented safari, the guides and other guests are not as
patient as we might like for setting up the perfect shot.  All the
advantages of K64 are well known - very sharp, accurate and neutral
colors (although not as vivid as the Velvia or E100VS), and long term
archival stability.  If you are planning on including people in the
photos, K64 is much better for flesh tones.
Have a great trip.

--- Lars Bundesen <lars.bundesen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am going to South Africa for a month in two weeks. I am going to
> take
> slides for the most part. I have used Kodak Elite films earlier
> (100 ISO),
> but I wonder if the new Fuji Velvia 100 (is it called that or is it
> Provia
> 100 F?) might be a better film?
>
> I know I should not use a film for such a trip I haven't tried, but
> I have
> used Velvia earlier with good results, it was just too slow if
> there was not
> a lot of light.
>
> My trip is going to include Cape Town, Lesotho and the east coast
> south of
> Durban, I think. Probably also some safari trip.
>
> By the way, is a Mju II (Stylus II) good enough for shooting
> slides? (I am
> taking OM equipment, of course, but the Mju would be nice to have
> for
> slides, too.)
>
> Lars

=====