[OM] Re: OT Web Site Hosting

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Web Site Hosting
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:04:45 -0800
It's been a long time since I browsed your site. Some some nice images,
some provocative and some both.

My monitor is pretty well calibrated and looks fine on your calibration
page. Like someone else, I find the blue on black lettering irritating.
Before it has been selected once it's sort of readable, but when dimmed
after selection, it's hopeless, lean forward, squint and perhaps curse
quietly. I like the overall design, but (of course) have a few suggestions:

The "Back" button is hidden on the pages with the most images until the
thumbnails are scrolled down.
The "Back" button is sort of misnamed. "Home" or "Galleries" or "Main
Index" or some such would be clearer.
If you would like comments, it would be useful to put index number/names
or some sort of unique identifier on each image. "Sarah _1", etc., or
some such. You sort of do this in "Spirit of Endurance" but at least one
label is repeated.

This becomes more of an artistic choice. Many of your images have very
dark portions. A border would separate image from background, but the
effect of disappearing into the background may be intentional. Works for
me with some and not so well with others.

Personal reactions to the images, separate from design: Some of the
images have very narrow tonal ranges, compressed into the bottom half of
the histogram.  I can see where this could be intentional, as in the
very low key, washed out look of the interior shots of Alana and Sarah
(although I prefer them with a little more life). In other cases, like
"The new "Spirit of Endurance" 2001" at night, it weakens the sense of
drama. If not intentional, there is something lacking in the scanning.

I like the "Death of Flowers" shots a lot. The first one uses the full
dynamic range beautifully. The third picks up life with its range expanded.

One man's opinions

Moose