[OM] Re: [OT] Urgent virus warning

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Urgent virus warning
From: "Ian Manners" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:58:05 +1100 (EDT)

IBM wrote 3 test virus's for OS/2 in their labs but had a small problem,
they couldnt get them to replicate to other systems due to the way
OS/2 uses threads.

I do the right thing though and have a virus scanner on my mail server
to protect my clients that use Windows.

Mac's have had virus/worms written for that platform but we are talking
about OS8 and OS9, dont think anyones bothered since as Virus writers
are after maximum impact, which is Windows, and as Mac OS10 is BSD
based, its not an easy feat to write something that would be successful.
OS8 and OS9 viree also found it hard to replicate to other Mac's as well.

Windows is the perfect platform for Viree and worms as its default
shipped state is such that its wide open to be compromised by
hackers, no other operating system that I know of is shipped in such
an open state, with the defaults being leave everything turned on, and
dont close any ports. ie, all earlier Windows versions prior to XP shipped
with the built in web server turned on by default ! Leave your front door
open, with the light on and a sign saying come in, when you go out for
the night :-)

Cheers
Ian Manners
http://www.comkal.com.au/